Monday, March 23, 2009

It is nice to be appreciated!




So after spending 3 days in Salt Lake helping Court and Josh fix up the cute little house they bought (They bought the cutest little home in Sugarhouse, you will have to link to their blog in a few weeks to see the transformation) I came home to an absolutely spotless house! Everything was clean, laundry done and folded, beds made... what??? I was so happy! What a great husband I have! BUT then one by one my children pulled me aside to tell me how their dad made them "Do everything" while I was away. "Mom he was crazy, you set down a glass between sips and he would tell you to load it in the dish washer", "mom we had to work the whole time you were gone, it was torture" and "He made me clean my room and then came in and told me it wasn't good enough!"

I explained to them that dad did a great job, he just hadn't learned the art of the ever so delicate mom/nag balance. You see every mom has the potential of being the biggest nag ever (brush your teeth, do your homework, put your dishes away, pick up your dirty socks...etc) we have the need and absolute right not to be our children's slaves yet we realize how we sound, so we learn to pick and choose. "I will ask them to do this and I will do that" and even more often " I will ask them to do this and I will do that and ignore this and this..." I appreciate my husbands efforts, it made me so happy to come home and have nothing to do but unpack, but I have to say my children have never been so glad to see me! It's good to be appreciated!

10 comments:

The Alvords said...

How nice of dad! I hate, hate, HATE coming home from vacation to a messy house. It stresses me out! I'm glad dad was so thoughtful and made you happy. We were so glad yo have you here to help us!

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

is that a recent pic of Court?! My how her hair has grown ;)
I think its so great that you went to help, its always so nice to have your mamas aide! And I can totally testify, Steve was on the kids the entire time! And he did do some himself, he even SKIPPED GOLF!!! Watch out..

Dominique said...

I know who to call the next time I need my kids whipped into shape. Glad you came home to a clean house and grateful children.

Holly Child said...

Aw...Sugarhouse is a cute area! I used to live in that area years ago! :o)

Hoskins Family said...

What a wonderful thing to spend time with your dd and have fun decorating their new home! Isn't it great when Dads take over and kids realize how great Mom can be!

As a side note, I appreciate you too...I was just telling Leonard this weekend how much I miss your RS. lessons. Always fun, informative and with a great spirit!

kirk n stacy said...

Amen sista...that is so very nice.

Brittany and Johnse said...

It is SO wonderful to come home to a clean house...and even better to come home and be MISSED!! enjoy it :)

Carrie said...

That was so sweet, nice to know mom is missed. Can't wait to see pics of Court's house. Didn't know they were settling in Utah. Is he in dental school? Sugarhouse is a great area!

Kevin and Lindsey said...

I LOVE coming home from a trip to a clean house! Kevin always tells me I'm silly for cleaning the house before we leave, but it is just so nice when you get home! Steve is such a thoughtful husband!

Mark and/or Lisa said...

Steve does a tight ship when you're not there I've seen it first hand. I guess this just means you're going to need to take more trips to keep the level of appreciation high.