Monday, December 8, 2008

Bidding Wars, Boa's and Gender Confusion on Broadway!

I know, strange title for a blog post! But allow me to explain. Steve took his three favorite girls to New York for his company's annual Christmas Party! We had so much fun (as you will see from the huge amount of photos) but the highlight of the trip was definitely the night we went to see the broadway play "Hairspray!" We were so grungy after a day of shopping and sight seeing, and we had gotten all dressed up the night before to see Jersey Boys, so we went to the play in jeans and uggs, no make up etc... BAD MOVE!!! After the play, Harvey Feirstein who plays Edna Turnbladt asked for donations for Aids and breast cancer patients that do not have insurance. He said since the show was closing he wanted to auction off part of his costume, the boa's from his dress! Well guess who started bidding? Yes, my husband. And he won! So we got to go backstage to meet the cast and take pics! So fun!!! Pay attention to the photo of me and Lindsay mugging in front of the poster. You can see the boa's and flower from the costume we won!

Backstage with our loot!I have no idea what I will do with it... but it wasn't about the stuff...we sure do wish we had not been such slobs!

Backstage with John Waters! He wrote Hairspray (and is an actor, director etc...) I loved meeting him! I love the offbeat and strange, and his work is both! Hairspray closes in two weeks and this was his last time to see the show. He was leaving to be with his mother for the holidays. He was so gracious to us.

With Harvey Feirstein who plays Edna Turnbladt. I was so sad Harvey changed out of his costume before we took photo's! And yes, that really is his voice!

With Marissa Perry (Tracy Turnbladt) backstage! Nice girl.

8 comments:

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

I cannot believe that! That is so cool! Of course it happens on the night you dont get ready--boo! But you all still look cute. What a cool experience! I am jealous!!

Margie DeBeikes said...

Wow! How fun! You are the only people I know that look good when you don't get ready!I am jealous too! Next year Mari and I want to go

Kevin and Lindsey said...

I am so jealous!!! We LOVE NYC!!! I am so glad you had a fun time. It looks like you had a blast. And how awesome that you got to go back stage, you look fab so no worries!

The Alvords said...

That was soooo much fun! I loved every second of our trip. Thank you again for everything!

Mari Elizabeth Couture said...

Yup Margie, we are going!

Anonymous said...

Wow that seems like such a fun trip! It is so nice to have bonding trips like that, makes you appreciate what you have!

the organic kitchen said...

Sorry Margie, we took Mari 2 years ago...

Paul and Suzy said...

Your trip looks like it was so great! You Spikers know how to have a fun time!